Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 12 - Meet me in St Louis

Day 12. We made it to St Louis. 177 miles. We had to ride a stretch on a limestone bike trail due to traffic. The traffic was terrible and loads of road construction to boot. It was quite scary the last 50 miles. Lon threw in a 15% climb at the end of the day which was brutal. Good thing I had my triple. I used every gear I had to make it up the "hill."

I got to see friends this evening too. Walt is a doctor here in St Louis. I haven't seen him in over 20 years. He and his wife Carla and their two children Holly and Josh visited with me which was wonderful.

Tomorrow we ride to Effingham IL. A shorter day on the bike so I should have time to post some pictures. It should be a flat day of riding through the corn fields.

Closing for now. Breakfast is at 5:30 tomorrow and take off at 6 to beat the traffic out of town.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynn--too bad you didn't have a chance to tour the Anheiser-Busch factory. I did a long tour down the Mississippi in 2005 and we had a rest day in St. Lou. The tour was great and they gave out FREE BEER. It's quite a lovely place, believe it or not.

    Sounds like you are doing great!! Sorry about the mishaps you've had, but those just make the stories better!! Enjoy these last few days. What an adventure?! Can't wait to do it myself someday.

    ReplyDelete