Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 4 - Flagstaff to Kayenta AZ

Kayenta is part of the Navejo Nation It is located south of the Monument Valley which is directly across form our hotel.

Today was touted as a recovery day, but it was anything but that. Stiff headwinds and cross winds that made me feel as if I was going to be lifted up off my bike at any moment. The big transfer trucks didn't help matters. We rode on hwy 89 and 160 the entire day. Long endless stretches of highway with no trees to shield the relentless wind. I rode with John from Chicago the whole day. My back knotted up from all of the bracing. It was a long day, but we finished earlier than the past two days giving me some time to rest. I had a delicious dinner at Burger King as there are only three fast food restaurants in town. I even had french fries for the calories, grease and salt. They were delicious as I haven't induged in a long time. What have I been missing?

Tomorrow we leave for Durango CO. We should have some beautiful scenery. We will enter the mountain time zone tomorrow so I'll be just two hours behind everyone on the east coast. Getting a little closer to home.

We have had one rider to go home. Lenny from New Jersey cracked a rib and left this morning. He will rejoin us at the end of the ride in Williamsburg for the banquet. We hated to see him leave. I rode with Lenny on the Southern Tour in 2008.

Here are some pictures from today. One is of John, Randy and I after we finished today. The other pictures are of the lunch truck and riding down the road towards Kayenta.

Thanks Mt Vernon!! I'm eating my chocolate bar right now. Wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynne!

    Glad to hear you consider your Burger King meal a delicious dinner! Yes, sometimes you need the fat calories and the salt. Hope the fast food made you fast today.

    Adri

    ReplyDelete