Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 14 - Effingham IL to Crawfordsville IN

Today was a relatively flat day. We climbed less than 3,000 ft for the day. 159 miles with a 10mph headwind. I rode with the "A" group today. We rotated pulls throughout the ride. I think I was only able to stay with them because they were in "recovery" mode. Their recovery is an all out sprint for me. Hopefully there will still be some gas in the tank tomorrow when we ride from Crawfordsville to Athens OH. Tomorrow will be our last "easy" day before we start climbing again. I have already booked my last two massages anticipating the horrific days of climbing ahead. West Virginia will be a bear. I hope the descents will be kinder without the gusting crosswinds we had in CO.

We were lucky to get rooms tonight in Indiana. The Indy 500 is this weekend and everyone is sold out. Some riders who have single rooms had to double up. Tomorrow we actually have an extra half hour before taking off. Sweet. And breakfast in the hotel restaurant. A buffet. No eating out in the parking lot in the morning. What a luxury.

No pictures of landscapes today. We saw a lot of corn though.

5 more days.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Lynn. What a journey. I love reading your blog and have been 'following' as much as possible. Congratulations on superb tour so far - not many days left. Very impressive. I am really glad you have survived the challenges and incidents along the way. Cannot wait to see you and hear more. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete