Monday, May 24, 2010

Wind and more wind

On day 8 we rolled into Kansas and the central time zone. I'm getting closer to the east coast. Yea! The day was endless miles of grasslands. The road seemed to stretch forever, just like the desert. No houses or businesses, just grass. And wind, lots of wind. 30 mph cross winds with temperatures in the 90's. We covered 193 miles. When Andrew the aussie and I arrived at the hotel the wind had picked up considerably. The last 19 miles were brutal. I had a lot of difficulty keeping my bike upright with the gusts pushing me towards the center of the road. I held an 8'o clock position next to the aussie which helped block some of the force. Susan was in the parking lot breaking down the lunch trailer and offered to make us smoothies which we accepted without hesitation. She makes sure I have food at the end of the day if I'm hungry and always has chocolate milk at the rest stops. I don't know why I'm the only one that wants chocolate milk. It's a fabulous recovery drink. Makes me feel refreshed. Ulysses Kansas was our sleepover stop. Nothing in Ulysses except a McDonald's and a Pizza Hut. Day 9 is Ulysses to Pratt. Pratt? What's in Pratt?

So day 9 started off with a forecast of storms for the day. Great. I shoved my rain jacket into my jersey pocket and hoped for the best. The day began with overcast skies, clouds and WIND. A few sprinkles in the morning, but nothing that warranted doning the rain jacket. The winds picked up and crossed over throughout the day. I rode with the tandem and the aussie. We rode in an echelon as much as the roads would allow when there was no traffic. That helped break the wind. Once on the main highway after the lunch stop it was impossible due to traffic and those irritating bumbles on the shoulder. We got caught in rain and hail the last 30 miles of the ride, but nothing long. The temperature was in the 80's so at least we didn't get cold. Once we arrived at the hotel (Days Inn) in Pratt KS, I cleaned my bike, pumped up my tires and proceeded to haul my bike up to my room. Oh no, second floor again?

The Wal-mart is right next door so I walked over to pick up some dinner and other items I was running in low supply. Wal-mart in Pratt KS is just like anyother Wal-mart except this one wasn't crowded. How refreshing.

Today was 150 miles. Tomorrow we will ride to Yates Center KS (177 miles). Will we ever get through Kansas? I'm hoping for warm temperatures and NO wind. I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow. I didn't want to get my camera wet today so I left it packed. You can also go to www.pactour.com under the elite tour and view pictures that Susan takes everyday. We're almost halfway. I can't believe this is my vacation.

4 comments:

  1. Great job Lynn, stay strong. You are doing great, this is an adventure of a lifetime and I wish I had your strength and determination. Blay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roll on Lynnette!!! What a heck of a way to end one week and start another! But you came out strong and ready for week 2...I echo all comments thus far. You are doing a phenomenal job, a feat that most of us (speaking of myself) would not dare attempt. Thanks for sharing your ride!...see ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nearly 200 miles in 30+ mph wind... 'the hail storm wasn't bad'... eating dinner at Wal-mart. You are insanely brave, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOWHOOO... YAY!!! GO LYNN GO! I am glad to finally be up to even look at the blog -fantastic pictures- YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC - the ride and blogging the ride. THANK YOU for sharing it- It is- you are always Inspiring! I plan to try to work tomorrow- Miss ya terribly.. whenever my bff is not here- I get sick. I guess your healthy ways rub off on me when you are here. PLEASE BE SAFE!

    ReplyDelete