Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 3 - Wickenburg to Flagstaff

This was only day 3 and I am feeling toasted. We climbed 13,000 ft today. Lots of switchbacks throughout the day. Brutal on tired legs from yesterday's sufferfest. Serious descending after lunch from the summit...Mingus Mountain into Jerome. I did this same descent in 2008 on the Southern tour, but it was much windier today and not enjoyable. I was going near 40 plus mph clutching my brakes.

The scenery was gorgeous when I had an opportunity to take my eyes off the road. The traffic was tense through Sedona with curvy narrow roads. Seems like the roads so far have not been ideal. A lot of riding on the interstate.

I have met some really nice people on this tour. Yeaterday and today I rode with Randy from VA, Rob from MN (fellow randonneurs) and John from IL. I hope they will continue to let me latch on and ride with them.

I'm sorry for the shortness of my entries. I'm just so tired by the end of the day that it's hard to get everything done before the next morning. We typically eat breakfast in the parking lot at 6:00, load our bags at 6:25, start riding at 6:30. My evening is spent organizing my clothes for the next day, grabbing some food and going to bed. Eat, ride, sleep is what my days will consist of for the next 16 days.

Tomorrow Flagstaff to Kayenta. Yee ha!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy seeing even the short entries, Lynndo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat, Ride, Sleep....what more could you want. Your'e liv'in the life...enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete